<

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

 

not baaad!



Was so frazzled getting ready for Black Sheep last Wednesday that I didn't get to write a blog post after all. I got home Sunday evening tired but happy because I did a little better than last year. An interesting side effect was that everything I brought down to the event - including myself - was smelling rather pungent. The show booth was very close to a barn full of sheep and goats, you see. I've always been a city gal and it isn't often that I get that close to the source of fiber goodness. All the yarn, fiber and knitted samples are being aired out. I didn't mind the smell, although the dust from the hay irritated my eyes and throat some. The main thing is that I got to sell my products indoors this year - yeah!! Very grateful for that, because it did rain Sunday afternoon.




My product inventory was colorful if sparse. I'm still scoping out display racks and what have you, so I can have a well-designed 10 x 10 booth all by myself. I really didn't mind sharing the space with another dyer; the beautiful yarn brought customers into the booth to see what I had too, and helped generate sales. It may sound lame but I must admit: blame it on my Leo rising but to me, Stitch Jones is all about being a "rock star" - figuratively, of course - and I found myself just not at my best sharing the limelight! It will be my summer project then, prepping for fall and early winter fiber events by collecting more display goodies such as the borrowed spinning rack where I hung the little things I've been knitting, and building up inventory.


Hey, did you see that little purple stripey bolero? Let me show you a better photo.


I finished it bleary-eyed at 2:00 AM Thursday morning. All the pieces had already been blocked, so it was a matter of seaming everything up and picking up & knitting along the outer edge. I probably could have steamed the lower edge and neckline but um, yeah, no. Not gonna happen at that late hour! For those interested, I shall chronicle the details.
Pattern: Round and Round the Garden Bolero (Ravelry link)
Yarn: Bare Sheep Yarn Company superwash merino sock in "Bleeding Heart" & Rowan Pure Wool 4-ply in Lupine
Needles: Size 2 (body) & Size 1 (ribbing)
Fits: 12 months
Baby sweaters are usually no big whoop for me to knit, however this was a rather ambitious project. I just wanted to have a little topper to go with the sun dress I made for my booth. I'm not trying to make a living from selling hand knits -- I'm still new at selling my handmade items, and love knitting as much as dyeing. I figured it wouldn't hurt to have them in the booth and see what the reaction would be. My knitted goodies got lots of looks, and I actually sold the green and blue scarves I included in the display-- which made me quite happy!
I could go on; however, the hour is quite late and I've had my day off to recharge. I'm off to beddy. Back in a few days.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]