<

Thursday, May 27, 2010

 

the usual



Normally I don't use my knitting blog as a space for commentary on current events or issues. However, I felt I had to make an exception in the case of the WBC. I wasn't aware of how long they have been around, and that they carry their heinous picket signs at funerals of people who have died of AIDS and service persons who were killed in Iraq and Afghanistan - because they object to the U.S. military's so-called "tolerance" of gays. (Our military shows homosexuals anything but tolerance, IMHO.) Had I known about the WBC before, I certainly would have raised awareness of their evil on my blog. What got to me is when I learned through a Facebook friend that they had scheduled a picket at a Portland high school. These people are far beyond crazy-- they're dangerous! I don't want them anywhere near where I live, or especially around school kids. Anyway, I just felt I had to say something, and I thank you for leaving comments.




I'll go back to talking about knitting. I'm hooked on knitting baby clothes lately, and this week I finished a little kimono sweater.



It needs to be washed and lightly blocked, then I'll probably attach ribbon ties -- although I was thinking about making a little loop and sewing on a button. Here are the details:
Pattern: Baby Kimono by Kristin Spurkland, from Interweave Knits Summer 2005.
Yarn: RYC Cashcotton DK, 2 1/2 balls.
Needles: US 3.
Size: 3 to 6 months.
I got the right and wrong sides mixed up, because in the photo, the straight side of the sweater front was on the opposite side. I'm not too upset about it though--it's garter stitch, and also the baby who eventually wears it won't mind! I love the yarn, too. Picked it up from the sale room at Woodland Wool Works. It's very soft and machine washable. The only thing I didn't care for is that it's 18% angora, and the myriad little hairs made me sneeze the whole time I was knitting!
It's a nice pattern, well written and simple. Kind of a "trust" knitting process along the lines of the Baby Surprise Jacket--in the words of Roseanne Roseannadanna, "you don't know what you've got there"! It doesn't look like anything, and you're wondering how in the hell it's going to go together. Just breathe and follow the directions, and then it becomes clear that two 3-needle bind-offs at the sleeve tops will give you a sweater that just needs seams at the sleeve bottoms.
As this Memorial Day holiday approaches, I wish peace to all of you and those you love, and yarn. Lots of yarn.






Comments:
I had to google them too, I'd not heard of them, though had seen a bunch of headlines lately. They aren't just picketing schools, but also Jewish synagogues in the metro area and I am sure other places as well. They give any church a bad name!
 
I agree with you, these folks are dangerous. How far does freedom of speech go? That's the question. When will they be considered dangerous enough for authorities to put a stop to their activities. After they've hurt or killed people, that's when.
 
For some strange reason that puts me in mind of that scene from 'the Blues Brothers' where the white supremacists are demonstrating in the park..."I hate Illinois Nazis..."

Love the sweater!!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]