<

Saturday, January 23, 2010

 

Destash and help others

By now we probably all know that the fiber craft community's financial response to the recent disaster in Haiti has been overwhelmingly generous. I have heard the question raised about sending yarn and/or knit & crochet supplies, but since it is a hot weather climate, those items are probably low priority. I myself have been wondering where in the world I could send some of my vast personal stash of yarn, beads, knitting needles and odds & ends I will never use. The answer came to me yesterday in the form of an Etsy conversation. I wanted to share it with you, so

I've reprinted it verbatim below.


"Hello, I'm heading for the knitting club at the orphanage "Marichka". In our club, do girls of different ages. They are very passionate about crafts and show diligence and perseverance. Girls are trying to learn the secrets of knitting and needlework, weaving of beads. But in our club has a problem - we do not have enough yarn for knitting, knitting needles and hooks, beads. Perhaps you have the opportunity to help - please contact us by e-mail in our club. The girls are waiting for your participation. We would welcome any assistance. (Perhaps you have a very old, but a working model of of laptop. In our orphanage burned down the computer) Our address: dreams-yarn (at) ukr. net Sincerely, Elena"

Although I don't know exactly where it is, the dialect and "ukr.net" suggests it is in the Ukraine. I emailed back this morning for their mailing address, and am waiting for a response. This morning I picked out some items from my stash. I checked usps.com, and they do ship to the Ukraine but there are limits on package dimensions - I believe 12" on any one side.

I included the email address so that anyone interested can contact the knitting club leader. If you do, please let her know you heard about them from My Mom Made This/Stitchjones on Etsy, so that she knows I passed on the information.

Thank you, have a wonderful weekend, and God bless.



Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]