<

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

 

Living EZ's words

We all know the Elizabeth Zimmermann quote..."knit on with confidence and hope through all crises". I like to think that knitters know what to do at those moments in life when the non-enlightened (or "muggles") are at a loss. Even though the passing of my sweet doggy has hit me hard, I'm still knitting and have even finished a couple of small projects.


But before I put up pictures, I want to take a moment to let you know how much I appreciate your words of condolence in the comments and on Facebook. I believe that shared sorrow is easier to bear, and many of you have cherished pets and understand the empty place they leave behind when they are gone. Each day I'm taking time to remember little Buster. Because I especially love having a tiny dog that I can hold, carry, and knit sweaters for, I may at some point adopt a puppy, but I'm nowhere near ready for that--I still find myself looking around for him. Anyway, thank you for being there with me as I go through this process; it really does help to know I'm not alone.

So here is a pair of socks I knit for my friend Janet. She lives on the North Shore of Boston, close to New Hampshire, and we went to junior high and high school together.




The yarn is Kraemer Saucon Sock, a cotton-acrylic blend which was a great score from my friend Cindy's de-clutter sale last month! I don't think I've made socks before that weren't wool. I used size zero needles, so they are densely knit and will probably be snug, hopefully not too tight! I have one more pair of plain-vanilla socks on the needles. When they're done, I plan to get jiggy with it and make either these or these.

I wanted to send Janet something extra in case she wasn't thrilled with the socks, so I also made her a pair of Irish Hiking Handwarmers.

(extreme closeup of cable action)

I used some mystery wool from my friend Gail's destash last year. I think it's Manos; it's thick/thin and soft.

My WIP's are calling to me with plaintive little voices, and the stash is eager to be knit...so I'm going back into the knitting salon now, which is just a high falutin' term for the family room. But I'll be back soon with some retina-searing socks from one of my most treasured stash items, the Blue Moon STR Lightweight! There's one stash yarn I'm not touching yet though, because I firmly believe that you cannot have your Wollmeise and knit it too. Even though it reeeeallllly wants to become a scarf...










Comments:
I like to think that I can "knit on with confidence and hope through all crises", but in reality, I can't. At least not in waiting rooms/hospitals while one of my loved ones in having a procedure done. I found that out last year when Robert had his kidney stone blasted and this year while we sat around at the hospital while my dad was there. I can do it only if I am in the room with the person, but not waiting out elsewhere.

I love the color of the socks and I love the IHS mitts. Hmm, that sounds like a good Christmas present around here. My family is bugging me for more mitts.
 
Wow! You scored some of the elusive Wollmeise?! How fortunate for you! I've just heard about it, never actually touched. ;-)
 
Keep knitting. It's gotten me through some really rough patches.

You'll know when you're ready for another dog. It is, sadly, the nature of dogs that they do not live as long as we do. I like to think that each of my dogs was sent to me by those who went before.
 
you have wollmeise? You lucky girl! Love the socks (who wouldn't!?) and the handwarmers are cute too...she will love them both I'm sure because they were made with love.

I try to keep that thought of EZ's in my head too, especially when things seem their darkest...it helps.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]