<

Friday, July 24, 2009

 

I Heart Risotto

Yes, I'm talkin' Risotto. Creamy texture, firm individual grains of Italian rice...flavorful and comforting. Typically a side dish but just as good by itself. Perfect for cold weather. Never mind that it was near 90 today and the temp is supposed to be up into the triple digits next few days...I have a hankering for Risotto!! I probably won't make it during the heat wave though; it needs constant attention and it's just too hot to stand at the stove that long.

I made a batch about 2 weeks ago, and like a dumbbell I didn't take any pictures. However, for a long time I've been meaning to write out all my favorite recipes. Here, then, is my good ol' basic down-home Risotto; a nod to my Italian-American roots.

Risotto a la Chickenlips

Ingredients

1 cup short-grain Arborio rice (can also be found as Risotto rice)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese

Directions

Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add olive oil and butter. When butter starts to sizzle, add rice. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes, or until rice grains turn translucent. Add onion and garlic. Continue stirring a few more minutes, until onion softens and rice grains turn pale golden in color.

Add broth gradually; about 1/3 cup at a time. After each addition, stir until rice mixture absorbs the liquid. (The whole process will take almost 15 minutes or so.) When the last of the liquid has been added and almost all liquid is absorbed into the rice, remove mixture from heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Mangia!

Some nice variations: use beef broth instead of chicken broth, and add fresh sliced mushrooms when adding the onion and garlic. Or add cooked vegetables cut in 1" pieces to finished dish, such as broccoli, green beans, asparagus, carrots, for Primavera. Cooked shrimp or other shellfish is lovely in Risotto, too. I usually make mine plain, just as written, and have it as a side dish with chicken--or by itself!

***

I re-worked one of my sock patterns and finished knitting the sample this afternoon. It's drying on a sock blocker right now, so I'll get a photo when it's dry. I'm planning to display it at Sock Summit and offer the pattern for sale (cheap!) only $4.

***

Before I sign off, I want to direct you to Yarnhog's blog. Ms. Yarnhog recently rescued a dog and her litter of puppies from a horribly abusive "shelter"; there is a link to an online petition to put a stop to the cruelty being perpetrated at this shelter, and there are also adorable pictures of the puppies getting their first baths. I signed the petition and encourage you all to sign it, too. The poor dog's story is appalling. We can put a stop to this kind of treatment, though.

Thanks, everybody. Stay cool in the heat.

Comments:
Oh, I love risotto! In fact, I had to for dinner tonight at a local Italian restaurant. Mmmmm....
 
oooh, me too baby
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]