<

Thursday, February 14, 2008

 

Dyer with desire

Thought I'd throw out a mildly provocative blog post title, it being Valentine's Day and all. But before I get to that topic, let me show you something I actually knitted.









It's the Montego Bay scarf that was in Interweave Knits a year ago. The pattern calls for Sea Silk and a buttload of braided fringe. While I was working at a place in town that carries Sea Silk, I never did get around to buying any. However, I did buy HandMaiden Silken, which is 100% silk, in a one-of-a-kind colorway. So the scarf is much shorter than the pattern specifies, and since I only had 250 meters of the stuff, I wanted every bit of it to be scarf and not fringe. The drape of it will hopefully make up for what the scarf lacks in length. I made it for my sis-in-law and friend, Darla, whose birthday is coming up at the beginning of next month. I'm also making her a pair of Fetchings in Noro Cash Iroha, the same shade of blue as in the scarf.



Since I got that great yarn order a couple of weeks ago, I haven't sold a solitary skein of my hand dyed yarn. My Etsy shop is still getting plenty of views, but sales have just come to a standstill. Strange thing, this yarn biz! I have a feeling I'm going to learn just how strange it can be. No worries though, I'm up for an adventure. I'm doing what marketing I can, while continuing to make yarn. Here is a new sock colorway, let me know what you think. I'm not fishing for compliments, it's just that no knitters have seen this yet, so I'd hate to think I was doing acceptable dye work when in actuality I am making ugly yarn!


It's another Rush-themed one, and here is the story behind it. Rush was nominated for a Grammy for Best Rock Instrumental, for a song called "Malignant Narcissism." The band has been nominated in that category before, and in other categories various times, but they have never won a Grammy. Rather than launch into my usual tirade about the injustice of it, I created this colorway and named it "La Villa Strangiato" after another great Rush instrumental.

Someone who helps keep my spirits up when sales are slow, is the awesomely talented Kerin. I don't know where I would be without her. Her graphic design skills, and knowledge of how the fiber world works, are going to put Stitchjones out there with the big girls and boys! At least, that's how I feel whenever I talk to her--I get the shot of self-confidence I need to keep going. Kerin's abilities are certainly going to take her to the top. She has great news of her own, so drop by her blog and check it out!

Today I dyed up some of my current sock colorways to build inventory, plus a new one which is on the drying rack (read: shower rod) now. When it's all reskeined and beautiful I'll post a pic. And realizing that I have less than a week's worth of yarn left, I placed an order for 10 kilo cones of the sock yarn I'm currently using (and loving). That's 90 100-gram skeins, y'all. I'm in this for the duration.

Have a lovely Valentine's eve, all!


Comments:
hey I have been meaning to email you about a little project involving dark & divine ;)
 
I like the new colorway. It's got that "meadow lake at dusk" feel to it. And just so you know, I have yet to see any "ugly" yarn come out of that magical rolling yarn bag of yours.
 
OOOH!! I love it! Very pretty!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]