<

Monday, January 21, 2008

 

Chickenlips steeks!



Not a good photo, and I even had the right sleeve cuff tucked in without realizing it, but here is Jason's sweater that I began in November. All things considered, it was a fast, easy knit, and the pattern is the Shawl Collar Pullover from last fall's Knit n' Style magazine. I read Eunny Jang's steeking tutorial in Interweave, either fall or winter '06, and decided that since I can't wield a crochet hook for beans, I would whip out my trusty sewing machine to secure the stitches. I had an ever-so-slight unraveling beginning, which I took care of immediately--felt rather like a surgeon there! But I did it, my friends, even though it's hard to see, the sweater has a henley neck which I created by picking up my scissors and-gulp-cutting my knitting. I felt the need to pat myself on the back just a bit for that.

Oh, and it actually fits him! Here are the buttons I'm going to sew on after it's blocked. When everything's all done, I'll get my man to model his new sweater and post a pic.





Love That Harlot


Not too long ago, Yarn Harlot wrote a post extolling the virtues of cheap wool. I enjoyed reading that post greatly, and since I'm completely sold on wool anyway, she was preaching to the choir. Much in the same way that I think "feminist" means pro-women, not anti-men, "yarn addict" in my lexicon is pro-natural fibers, but not necessarily anti-synthetic. In my usual roundabout way, the point I'm driving at is that for the past four months, I've been surrounded by, and straightening, yarn so expensive that I couldn't afford a sweater's worth even with an employee discount. It was kind of like sitting all squashed in coach on a trans-pacific flight, being able to see the first class luxury but unable to cross the forbidding curtain. Or perhaps a street urchin from an old silent movie, with my face pressed against the window of a fancy sweet shop. But I'm here to tell you that there is hope for knitters with cash flow problems, because yesterday, while just another yarn shopper at the Mill End Store, I found some nice, soft wool in a divine color. I can make myself a plus size sweater for a modest $50.



I also bought Vermont Fiber Designs' Ballet Wrap Cardigan pattern. I swatched for it this morning, and I think it's going to be lovely.


Comments:
I, too, love cheap wool. And that particular Harlot post reminded me that babies should have fire-resistant wool blankies, rather than fire-happy acrylic, causing me to completely re-think the blankie for a dear friend's imminent arrival, so it was quite timely.

I checked the link to the Mill End Store, where I was informed that "Yarn is back." Hmmm. That's funny. I never noticed it leaving in the first place.
 
lol...the Mill End folks are a bit behind the times.

Good point about baby blankets. And superwash wool is readily available.
 
Eeeeks! Steeks! You brave girl, you! The sweater looks great; can't wait to see pictures of him wearing it.

And thanks for the reminder about Mill End Store!
 
Shout out for the cheap yarn! Steeks give me the eeks!! You are a brave girl my friend!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]