<

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

 

Fubar felting

I had a dream.

I was going to make this beautiful bag, with my own stash yarn, in my own preferences of colors and stripe order.


But alas, it was not to be.


(Go ahead and laugh. It's OK.)







What, you may be wondering, went wrong? Let me count the ways. First, I forgot to sew the bottom gussets, resulting in those "fins" at the bottom. Second, I have no freaking clue--the pattern didn't specify yarn type, so I used different brands, but all worsted weight, either 100% wool or wool/alpaca. I used the recommended needle size, cast on the correct number of stitches, measured the length carefully--yada, yada, yada. It shrunk plenty vertically, but it also shrunk way too much in width, giving it funky, non-utilitarian elongation. It just looks plain ol' dumb to me, which mightily frosts my behind, and I want some answers, by golly! I understand that Ms. Radford in fact lives in Portland. Perhaps I should pay her a visit. (Not really; I'm not weird. Well, I am, but I generally don't stalk people unless I really hate them.) I stuffed the bag full of plastic bags to enrounden its shape (did I just coin a new word?) then hung it up on one of my wall sconces to dry. I am supremely annoyed by this failure--I'm not going to try to sell it on Etsy, who would buy it?! But I am not completely discouraged. I'm making the felted clutch, and we shall see.


Something That Made Me Happy

I absolutely love this, and even though it was a spoiler, I can't wait to see the real thing next month.




Comments:
"I frequently experience Vuja De, the feeling that I've never been here before "

I LOVE that quote!!!! Just surfed into your blog and am enjoying reading it.
 
Really, your bag doesn't look so bad! Could you poke the fins in and tack them to the bottom of the bag somehow? That might get rid of the fins and also round out the bottom a bit. As far as the felting goes, I've only ever used one type of yarn, but this could be why it felted differently than you wanted. You could always try to email the designer and get her feedback...some of them like that kind of thing ;)

Love the Rush intro...if you're into weird/stupid/quirky comedies, check out Trailer Park Boys (a Canadian show and now a movie) Rush are big fans of it, and Alex Lifeson makes a cameo in the movie, plus he guest starred in one of the show episodes appropriately called "Closer To The Heart".
 
I am not unfamiliar with similar felting results. It just...happens? Okay, so I'm really not an expert with any helpful perspective, but I feel your pain.

BTW, thanks for stopping by. I lurv your banner.
 
Welcome, Mokihana & Mel! And you are right Mel, sometimes it's the whim of the felting goddess--and also probably what Kiki touched on, about mixing yarn brands. In no way do I hold the designer responsible for my results!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]